Using a counter in loop that reopens previous tasks and resets dependent tasks

Options

I am unable to determine how to properly setup a loop that has a counter in it. I used the help article here:https://help.catalytic.com/docs/pushbot-reopen-task-and-reset-dependent-tasks/, but still no luck. No matter what I do the defined "counter" variable never increases beyond zero. What am I doing wrong?

Best Answer

• Meghan_550057
    Meghan_550057 Posts: 107
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Greg_703914 - a few things:
    1. Instead of using 'Set value of an integer field' action type to initially set the value to 0, I would recommend using the action type Numbers: Perform basic math to set the initial value to 1 or 0 (first time running through the process). Part of the reason is that the field reference is {{counter--Output}}for the Numbers: Perform basic math action so incorporating that output field earlier is better as you add the loop.

1. In your Count number of tabs extracted step, you'll use {{counter--Output}}+1for the Calculation field. You'll also want to remove the handlebar reference from the Output field prefix config field. This should only be counter. Output fields should not have handlebars included as these fields generate the fields that can be referenced via handlebars.

Answers

• Greg_703914
    Options

@Meghan_160385 that worked perfectly! I can't tell you how happy I am to see this work as it was intended. The help guide I mentioned above tells the builder to use the integer: set an integer value and isn't clear on the defining the output variables or setting the conditions so I wasn't totally clear, but your two corrections made it work so thank you. I think I may not fully understand how the {{counter}} output fields and {{counter--Output}} are working together to increase the value but again thank you! This made my day. I was messing around with this for so long to make it work.

• Meghan_550057
    Options

Great @Greg_703914, glad to hear that and you're welcome! We are going to revisit and modify the Help article for the loop directions based on your experience - so thank you for reporting this!