Best practices to combine 100 excel files

Options

What is the best way to combine multiple excel files? Right now I am using the Excel combine two spreadsheets action, but copying this action 100x does not seem like the most efficient way to combine many excel files together. Is there another action which could help with aggregating data from multiple vendors together into a master table or file?

Answers

• Andrew_239256
    Andrew_239256 Posts: 16 admin
    Options

@Nasir_240545 - I think what you're trying to accomplish is doable, but if you could please provide a little more information, it would be helpful. Specifically, how are the multiple files being inputted? What are you expecting in terms of an output? (Ex. Merging on a key, trying to add new sheets)

• Chuck_146211
    Chuck_146211 Posts: 36 admin
    edited July 2021
    Options

Hey @Nasir_240545 -

@Kyle_819737 and I created a workflow that runs a batch (Tables: Start Workflow for each row) for each row of a multiple file field table. I'm not sure how feasible using a multiple file field would be for 100+ Excel files due to system limitations.

It might be more efficient to pull these files from somewhere like a Google Drive folder (Google Drive: List all files in a folder + Google Drive: Download a file) and run the batch step from there.

In our example, we created a "Master Table" where we add the data from each file processed.
    Inside the batch step, we converted each Excel file to a data table, converted the rows to text, and added a new row to the "Master Table" for each Excel file.

I'm sure there are more elegant ways to accomplish this. Would love to hear more details on the specific use case you have in mind.