Best practices for removing a Catalytic account upon resignation/termination

Options

Does anyone have any best practices for transferring ownership of workflows/tables for an employee who is no longer with the company? We'd like to deactivate their user account, but we're worried about losing access to certain workflows/tables if we don't transfer ownership properly.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Best Answer

• Chuck_146211
    Chuck_146211 Posts: 36 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Tom_944137,

I've attached a workflow template you can use to batch transfer workflow ownership to a new owner. Please let me know if you have any more questions or if this helps accomplish your goal.
    The inputs required are:

• Current owner email address
    • New owner email address

This workflow utilizes the Workflow: Update a Workflow action to transfer ownership and access permissions. This is a quick, useful action for transferring ownership of a single workflow. If we want to transfer ownership of workflows in bulk, we’ll need to batch this action.

First, we need to find the Current Owner’s Username by using the “Tables: Look up data in a column” action. You can find the Username in the data table “Application Table: Users”

Once we have their Username, we’ll use the “Tables: Apply filters” action. We’ll select the data table “Application Table: Process Templates” for this step and filter the Owner column using the Username output from the previous step.

When setting up the configuration for our batch workflow, we use the table filtered in the previous step.

Inside the batch, we'll configure the Workflow: Update a Workflow action to use workflows via field {{root-workflow-id}}.

I recommend testing this workflow with a handful of newly-created workflows so you don't risk disrupting any workflows that may be running.

Something to keep in mind; Edit & Find permissions.
    In the workflow template provided, Edit & Find permissions will be updated to the New User. This will overwrite all Edit & Find permissions for the workflows and tables associated with them. If you leave the Edit & Find permissions fields blank, no changes will be made to these fields and users that previously had access will still be able to access the workflows and tables.

Answers

• Tom_944137
    Tom_944137 Posts: 40
    Options

Thanks @Chuck_185472, I'll try this out and let you know how it goes.

• Tom_944137
    Tom_944137 Posts: 40
    edited June 2021
    Options

Hi @Chuck_146211, thanks again for this. I successfully transferred ownership of all process templates.

However, I'd also like to transfer ownership of:

• active runs
    • tables

Is there a utility to do this?