How to keep a workflow moving if no response to webform is received?

Options
Anna_272419
Anna_272419 Posts: 42
edited August 2020 in Questions

I have a process in which several reminder emails are sent (different recipients and text) with a webform attached to confirm if an action was completed. The workflow looks something like this:
Send initial email -> Send webform confirming if action completed (yes/no) -> If no, send second confirmation (yes/no) -> final reminder (workflow end)

I'm trying to anticipate different behaviors, including if the recipient doesn't respond to the webform. With my current setup based on the webform responses, the workflow freezes if no response is given. How can I get around this?

Thank you!

Answers

• Kalin_996882
    Kalin_996882 Posts: 74 admin
    Options

Hi Anna,

Thanks for reaching out to Community! I think I have an approach that could help with your case.

To start, have you considered using the Deadline feature for the first email task to handle the reminders for the user? Depending on the case you are building this could help eliminate the number of actions needed. I will include a help article for this feature below.

An approach I could suggest is putting the email step(s) within an inline subprocess that contains two Workflow: End this workflow steps. One that waits for the form to be completed and another that has a delay configured in case the form is not completed. Here is what I had in mind:

1. Email sent with webform — deadline is set for 3 days, after this time reminders will be sent
    2. At the same time, a Workflow: End this workflow step starts and has a delay for 7 days — meaning the user will have 7 days from the start of the subprocess to complete the form
    3. A second Workflow: End this workflow step is configured and dependent on the initial email step completing. This is for cases where the form gets completed and we need to break out of the subprocess earlier than 7 days

Since we are ending the subprocess, and not the parent workflow, the steps after the subprocess will take place as usual. The only drawback here is once the subprocess with the emailed form has ended the user will not be able to access the form.

Let me know if this helps and if you have any questions.

Help articles