understanding of action "Validate an Email Address"

Options

Basically: is my following understanding correct?

• „is valid“ checks the domain (all after @)
  • „Mailbox verification“ if the name (everything before @) is valid / available
    There are lot of results with „unknown“ - is the check then blocked by the mail server?

...and one question:

• "Reason invalid" – Is there any information about the error codes? e.g. 4.2.0, 2.1.5, 2.0.0, 4.1.1,…

Thanks!

Answers

• Jozef_783863
    Jozef_783863 Posts: 331 admin
    edited April 2020
    Options

@Kutsch_748990,

Below, I shared the help article documentation on these settings.

I also shared an enhancement Idea below for improving the results for Contacts: Validate an Email Address & for a tip with validating an email using entry validation on fields.

Contacts: Validate an Email Address > What will this output?
    https://help.catalytic.com/docs/contacts-validate-an-email-address/#what-will-this-output

Is valid
    Returns true if an email address passes grammar and formatting checks and a valid SMTP server is present for the address. A valid address may still be a disposable or role address.

Mailbox verification
    Returns true if the email is valid
    Returns false if the email was invalid
    Returns unknown if the SMTP request could not be completed or the recipient’s mail provider does not support mailbox verification.

Reason invalid
    Provides the reason the email was marked as invalid, when invalid

Tip - Validating email domain on webform

Enhancement Idea - Contacts: Validate an email address - More detailed results

• Jozef_783863
    Options

Outlined below is the behavior of the action in different scenario setups:

• If the input email is not in a valid format and the Mailbox verification configuration field is blank or set to FALSE: this action will complete quickly and tell you that the email is invalid.

• If the input email is not in a valid format and the Mailbox verification configuration field is set to TRUE: same as above, this action will complete quickly and tell you that the email is invalid.

• If the input email is in a valid format and the Mailbox verification configuration field is blank or set to FALSE: this action will complete quickly and tell you that the email is valid.

• If the input email is in a valid format and the Mailbox verification configuration field is set to TRUE: This is the scenario in which we attempt to verify if an email will be deliverable. The action may take a long time to complete, as it will attempt to contact the server to verify the mailbox of the email address. This may or may not be successful depending on the server's configuration. If we are unable to get a response from the server of a properly formatted email address, we intermittently try again. If we cannot get a response after 20 minutes, we stop contacting the server and determine that the mailbox cannot be verified.

• Kutsch_748990
    Options

Hi @Jozef_783863 ,
    I read the action help already upfront thanks for sharing but it's not answering my questions.
    Especially regarding the reason invalid there is no answer at all.

• Jozef_783863
    Options

Thanks @Kutsch_748990, I will follow-up via email so we can help review the unexpected invalid reason error codes.