Bounced Email Behavior Clarification

Options

Can anyone clarify the expected behavior for bounced emails? we tried testing with an email address a@b.com and there isn't anything coming through in the --Email bounced field output. When testing with a@a.com, we're seeing the bounce message come through but it implies it is because of previous bouncing and the fact that it's on the suppression list.

What is the expected behavior of an email address not on the suppression list if it truly isn't valid (a@b.com) as an example. Our Help article gives some details but I'm not sure why the a@b.com emails are showing as delivered.

Tagged:

Answers

• Thomas_937381
    Options

@Meghan_550057 I believe there's some variability here around mail environment configuration. Sometimes mail environments can be configured to deliver a message to another box if the recipient address exist. You may also want to build a delay into your process if planning to conditionally use bounce fields, as Catalytic may attempt to deliver a message a certain number of times before failing.

@gabe_167596 may be able to add more here.

• Gabe_554112
    Options

I believe there's some variability here around mail environment configuration. Sometimes mail environments can be configured to deliver a message to another box if the recipient address exist.

What @Thomas_937381 said is correct. Whether an address bounces or not is up to the receiving mail server.