Advance filter criteria order of operations

Options
Tom_944137
Tom_944137 Posts: 40
edited February 2021 in Questions

I'm using advanced filter criteria with the Tables: apply filters action.
This filter works:

columns['Client'] == {{companyname}} && columns['Template Filter Criteria'] == "All"

This filter does not:

columns['Client'] == {{companyname}} && (columns['Template Filter Criteria'] == "All")

Why is that?

We're actually trying to accomplish the following:

columns['Client'] == {{companyname}} && (columns['Template Filter Criteria'] == "All" || columns['Template Filter Criteria'] == {{template-filter-criteria}})

Which fails due to the parenthesis. We're forced to to the following, but it feels bulky:

columns['Client'] == {{companyname}} && columns['Template Filter Criteria'] == "All" || columns['Client'] == {{companyname}} && columns['Template Filter Criteria'] == {{template-filter-criteria}}

Any ideas here?

Answers

• Tom_944137
    Options

After testing this more, it appears that this advanced filter criteria does not work:

columns['Client'] == {{companyname}} && columns['Template Filter Criteria'] == "All" || columns['Client'] == {{companyname}} && columns['Template Filter Criteria'] == {{template-filter-criteria}}

The table I want to filter looks something like this:

Client Template Filter Criteria ID
    ABC Co All adkjsfads
    ABC Co Type 1 fksdjh
    ABC Co Type 1 lkjhlk
    ABC Co Type 2 987987897
    123 Inc Type X oioioi
    123 Inc Type Y ouyfouyf
    123 Inc All 69689986
    123 Inc All jkhvkjv

When I use the above advanced filter criteria with {{companyname}} = 123 Inc and {{template-filter-criteria}} = Type X, I get 0 rows in the resulting table. However, I would expect to get 3, namely:

Client Template Filter Criteria ID
    123 Inc Type X oioioi
    123 Inc All 69689986
    123 Inc All jkhvkjv

Can you help me understand what I'm doing wrong here?

• Sean_510793
    Sean_510793 Posts: 69 admin
    Options

Tom, I suspect your "and" and "or" operators are creating a non intersecting set giving you no matches. The operators are not evaluating in the order you might intend. As you mentioned in another post, the advanced filter does not seem to accept grouping as an operator. So you might try your filter with the two|| first and then the &&. That would likely work with only one && criteria.

I believe for now the easiest way to do what you want is two apply filters and then join the two resulting tables.

• Sean_510793
    Sean_510793 Posts: 69 admin
    Options

Or apply filter to one condition, and them apply filter to the resulting table for the second condition. That might be easier and more performant.

• Tom_944137
    Options

Hi @Sean_510793, thanks for the feedback. As you suggested in your first reply, I tried the following advanced filter criteria:

columns['Template Filter Criteria'] == 'All' || columns['Template Filter Criteria'] == {{template-filter-criteria}} && columns['Client'] == {{companyname}}

While this gives me my desired result, it is an unexpected result, since&& should take logical precedence over ||. This seems like a bug.

Should I be concerned about using this approach given that it gives a desired but unexpected result? My concern would be that a fix goes into place in the future, making my advanced filter criteria produce an undesired, albeit expected result.

• Dylan_191182
    Dylan_191182 Posts: 92 admin
    Options

@Tom_944137 you can rely on this behavior. We will not change the behavior of this action version. If we address this in the future we will create a new action version with updated behavior, but leave the existing action alone.
    Hope this helps!