Display umlaut characters in excel or csv files?

Options
Rueda_208162
Rueda_208162 Posts: 4
edited September 2020 in Questions

I am having this issue when updating 2 csv files with another but encoutered it before with other actions aswell.
I tried encoding all input files to ANSI instead of UTF-8, but catalytic exports are always in UTF-8 - which does not display them correctly.

Answers

• Rueda_208162
    Options

Does anybody know how to fix this, or has someone encountered something similar?

• Dylan_191182
    Dylan_191182 Posts: 92 admin
    Options

Hi @Rueda_208162 sorry for the delay! Just to confirm - are you viewing CSV files in Excel when you see this? Catalytic exports CSVs without a UTF-8 BOM (byte order mark). Excel doesn't treat those files as UTF-8 and won't display the umlaut or other non English characters. Are you able to export the file from Catalytic as Excel? If so, the UTF-8 encoding should be respected and everything display correctly in Excel.

• Rueda_208162
    Options

Hi @Dylan_478989 no worries.
    I am looking at both! I tried downloading it directly after the task through preview and test and at the end of my workflow I receive an e-mail where this file is already attached as an Excel file. In both instances the umlauts are displayed incorrectly.

• Dylan_191182
    Options

@Rueda_208162 is it possible for you to export your workflow? Or create a sample workflow that shows the same behavior that we could dig into?

• Rueda_208162
    Options

Please find the workflow attached.
    The merged file and the generated excel both display the umlauts incorrectly.
    I have saved both through the Excel function in an UTF-8 encoding.

• Dylan_191182
    Options

@Rueda_208162 I figured out what is happening. It looks like the CSV files you are providing are encoded in a non UTF-8 encoding. We currently expect CSV files containing Unicode characters to be encoded as UTF-8 files. Are you able to encode the files as UTF-8? One other thing I wanted to note - the CSV files in your example are semicolon delimited. We officially only support comma separated files, although the action you are using happens to support semicolon separated files. I've attached a sample workflow that uses UTF-8 encoded files and correctly includes Unicode characters in the Excel file. Hope this helps!